Washington State Commerce Specialist 5  in Olympia, Washington
The Housing Assistance Unit within the Community Services and Housing Division is seeking a Commerce Specialist 5. This position is the state expert in Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) data, analysis, federal Continuum of Care reporting, and supervision. Position responsibilities include responding to technical assistance and data analysis requests, managing vendor relationships and contracts, supervising a technical support team, integrating data from other systems, managing the data, application and reporting needs for the Continuum of Care Program, and supporting data driven policy work for HAU leadership & staff.
*This recruitment may be used to establish a qualified pool of candidates for agency-wide vacancies in the next six months.*
- Oversee the work performed in the unit; participate in the hiring process; identify and support training and mentoring needs and opportunities, as well as provide regular feedback, coaching, and guidance; set goals and expectations, evaluate job performance, and correct performance as necessary.
- Act on behalf of the Data and Systems Manager and/or HAU Senior Managing Director at local government, state agency, and Commerce meetings as assigned.
- Provide oversight for implementation and management of HMIS, including staff providing help desk support, reporting, data integration and training of HMIS.
- Provide oversight for all program data quality and performance measurement and reporting to HUD and state legislature.
- Manage the HMIS program within HAU. With little or no technical oversight, deals with complex and conflicting issues as the technical expert and provides expertise in the areas of data integration, data standard compliance, and reporting requirements to ensure HMIS complies with federal technical specifications and fund source reporting expectations established by federal, state and local rules and laws.
- Manage reporting and performance measurement requirements of Continuum of Care Program and Consolidated Application. Manage data collection and reporting process for Housing Inventory Count, Point in Time Count and System Performance Measures.
- Manage the vendor contracts to maintain HMIS reporting and data collection. Develops, negotiates, and monitors technical aspects of complex contracts with software vendors and other organizations to meet the needs of HMIS reporting and data collection.
- Fulfills and/or assigns, and tracks for completion, all data requests from Managing Directors of housing units, Data Systems Manager, HAU staff, and external stakeholders via industry groups (WLIHA, SACH, etc).
*Required Qualifications: *
- A Bachelor's degree
- Three years of professional experience in community development and housing, particularly in a field closely related to the skills necessary to manage data systems for the purposes of ending homelessness and providing supportive services for homeless and low-income individuals using state and federal dollars. Of the three years of professional experience, any combination of all the following must be included:
- Managing and understanding the principles, practices, and techniques of homelessness, housing, and/or social service programs, including their application, intent, sources of funds, legislation, regulation, and reporting.
- Analyzing and coordinating activities in government and/or nonprofit agencies using a variety of techniques to provide effective technical assistance and resolve complex problems.
- Experience using computers and computer applications such as Excel, Word, Access, web browsers, and other applications and databases, including particular knowledge and expertise in structured query language (SQL)
- Experience analyzing data from large datasets by creating queries to extract counts and subsets of data based on multiple logical criteria linked via "AND" and "OR" operators, using tools such as structured query language (SQL) or equivalent tools that at least support "AND" and "OR" logic operators and communicating technical results and relevant meaning to a non-technical audience.
- Experience procuring, managing, and providing technical support to non-technical staff regarding data systems to support complex business processes and reporting requirements.
- Two years of experience with the Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) or equivalent experience with a protected client data collection database.
- Additional years of professional experience in community development will substitute, year-for-year, for education.
A graduate or advanced degree in a relevant field may substitute for one year of required experience. Required Competencies:
Demonstrated high level interpersonal communication skills; two way communication, information sharing and gathering, ability to maintain confidentiality, and sound judgment regarding confidentiality of specific communications, and utilizing customer/employee/ employer feedback
- Strong ability to meet budget, grant and reporting deadlines with a high degree of accuracy.
- Strong understanding of database linking, building queries to extract data, specifications writing and requirements building for specific data systems to meet business and reporting needs, and data warehousing techniques.
- Strong understanding of state budgeting and legislative policies and practices and the ability to employ budget and fiscal management techniques
- Strong understanding of interpreting, writing and applying detailed policies and procedures.
- Strong understanding of statistics, performance, and outcome measurement
Strong ability to develop, organize, and conduct funding application and contracting processes, including writing and negotiating contracts and grants. Preferred Qualifications:
Knowledge of specific housing and fiscal data systems such as: Homeless Management Information System (HMIS), the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development's IDIS system for reporting spending and data, E-snaps, Homeless Data Exchange and Sage for reporting performance data, and the Department of Commerce's Contracts Management System (CMS) for reporting invoicing and contract management data. Supplemental Information
I want to work for Commerce! How do I apply?
In addition to completing the online application, applicants must attach the following documents to their profile in order to be considered for this position:
A letter of interest describing how you meet the specific qualifications for this position;
A current resume detailing experience and education; and
A list of at least three professional references.
For questions about this recruitment, please contact Lindsey Henderson at 360-725-2650 or email@example.com.
Who we are:
At Commerce, we're a little different. Our Olympia offices are open Monday through Friday. Our parking is free. Many of our employees bike year round. We also have an active bicycle loaner program.
Washington State offers commuting programs, including free, subsidized and reduced public transportation incentives. There are approximately 300 employees in our agency. We are committed to our work and value balance in our personal lives. We hire people for a position and encourage them to train for growth opportunities.
What we do:
We are the lead state agency charged with enhancing and promoting sustainable community and economic vitality in Washington. We administer a diverse portfolio of more than 100 programs and several state boards and commissions, all focused on achieving one clear and simple mission: to grow and improve jobs in Washington.
Our key customers include businesses, local governments and community-based organizations. We also play the crucial role of convening numerous local, state, regional and federal partners and stakeholders, public and private. Together we work to support the Governor's priorities and achieve shared goals and objectives for the citizens of Washington.
Not from Olympia?
As the state's capitol, Olympia is located off Interstate 5 at the south end of the Puget Sound roughly half-way between Seattle and Portland, and less than a two hour drive to the coast, temperate rainforest, mountains, urban city, or farmlands. With year-round art festivals, parades, theater shows, concerts, and community events, Olympia and its surrounding cities have something for everyone. For parents, it boasts some of the best schools in the nation and the renowned HandsOn Children's Museum. Home to two universities (The Evergreen State College and Saint Martin's University), Olympia residents also have the opportunity to pursue a degree while working!
This position is covered by a union security provision. Therefore, as a condition of employment, appointed candidates are required to become members of the Washington Federation of State Employees, or pay other representational fees within the first 30 days of employment.
The Washington State Department of Commerce complies with employment eligibility verification requirements of the federal Form I-9. The selected candidate must be able to provide proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States consistent with the requirements of that form on the first day of employment. The Washington State Department of Commerce is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a working environment that includes and respects cultural, racial, ethnic, sexual orientation and gender identity diversity. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, veterans or people with military status, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons needing accommodation in the application, testing, or interview process or this job announcement in an alternative format may call Human Resources at (360) 725-2650. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing may call through the Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388.
Salary: $5,101.00 - $6,692.00 Monthly
Location: Thurston County – Olympia, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Commerce
Job Number: 2017-06566
Closing: 7/24/2017 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact